Sunday, January 4, 2009




I was talking with a young non-member girl this past week. She said that she would rather be "just Christian" and not have to try to be Mormon, that Mormons have too many rules. She said that it seemed like as soon as you got old enough to have things God just took them away. He just sucks the fun out of everything.
I thought about that and later asked her if she wanted to go to the Olympics then she would want a Gold Metal and she would need a trainer. Would she get one that let her eat what ever she wanted and exercise when she wanted and practice when she wanted or a very strict on who got results? I explained that that is what God does, he takes a way some worldly fun and danger for the results we will want... Temple marriages, forever families, eternal happiness.
I have thought about that a lot since. We have to give up coffee, tea, strong drinks, smoking, immodest dress and premarital relations for better health and long life, respect, happy and strong marriages and to have the whole truth in our lives.
The pioneers had to give up land, homes, safety and even their lives just for their membership and they knew it was worth it.
I am thankful for the gospel in my life. I am thankful to know where I came from, what I am here for and where I am going. I am thankful for a wonderful family and thankful for the blessings of the temple to know that we will be together forever.
When you love someone that much, how can "till death do us part be enough?"
I am thankful to know that we have a prophet today who leads us by revelation and for the peace that gives me. I am also thankful we don't have to give up our homes or our lives to have a testimony. I am thankful for the opportunity to share that with our children and help their testimonies grow.
These are pictures from Nauvoo, we will go back soon.

3 comments:

Melinda said...

What a great analogy!! I love reading your testimony! Thanks for sharing.

Laura Willis said...

your very welcome. Thank you for reading and leaving a comment. It really means a lot.

Mike and Marisa Compton said...

good parallel! I may have to steel that one.