Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Obama-nation

I couldn't find a picture to go with the way I feel this morning.
As I watched the electoral landslide unfold before my eyes I felt an overwhelming feeling of numbness come over me. It was like watching as an avalanche heads your way and knowing that there is nothing you can do to escape it.
I watched so many celebrate this coming destruction and it reminded me of a scene from Independence Day where many people went to the top of the tallest building to welcome the aliens. They were having a big party waving signs to welcome them. The bottom doors of the ship opened to destroy them and they stood there in awe at how beautiful it was. Then in an instant it is over. To the rest of the world the intent was clear and panic resumed.
In this case it is amazing to see how many people chose to stand on the tallest building to welcome and celebrate this. So many people so desperate for change they didn't care what kind or where it comes from.
It is too late now, what is done is done. Now what?
Mom Willis quotes the profits and says there will come a time that if you can't make it, fix it or grow it, you won't have it. The end seemed so far way until yesterday.
Good ideas for Christmas this year...
clothes line and old fashion hand washer
Hand grinder for wheat
wood burning stove
generator
more quilts
old fashion tools
canning jars and lids
Food storage
water in bulk
entertainment without a cord

It will be like the old days we have heard stories about, only harder because we are so spoiled.
I have to admit that I had almost envied the simple life they had and the closeness they found because they had to work together and had less distractions.
Maybe they are right and this is a good thing?

4 comments:

Anna Beal said...

I am also really worried. We already live on such a tight budget as it is, its pretty much all we can do to avoid using a credit card. I have been dying to get my food storage in order, but I'm having a hard enough time just getting groceries. Hopefully we will find a way.

Laura Willis said...

Mom Willis says she has seen young moms pray for a way for this to happen and doors open for them.
I am right with you, and it seems like an impossible task.
That reminds me that God will never command us to do anything without preparing a way for us to do it.
We need to keep our eyes open and if we find a way to save anything we need to pass it on to each other.
Rice is pretty inexpensive, can go with anything, and stores well.
If you have a place to grow a garden but less time and energy than it takes, maybe you know someone else who doesn't have the space, you could share your land for some help with a massive garden? I picked up about a dozen canning jars at a thrift store for 25 cents each, it felt like I had struck gold.
It will take a while but another suggestion I was given was to pick up a couple extra boxes, cans, bags of one item each week and set it a side.
Good luck and keep posting =)

Julia said...

Yeah. I'm worried too. But think, it's just one more step to the Second Coming! :) I like your list. I was wondering what you wanted, lol.

Mike and Marisa Compton said...

Haha Love the title to the post!

Oh one more good thing to have with your food storage...a brick of Silver. The dollar isn't going to be worth as much after Obama's "spread the wealth" project.