Friday, November 14, 2008

Creative corrections


I don't know how many people have told me I should write a book about my family and how we do it. I don't have time right now so I just blog.

I wanted to share one of the books I have actually read and referred to often called "Creative corrections". Lisa Whelchel is best known for her role as Blair Warner on the hit 1980s TV series "The Facts of Life." She and her husband, Steve, a minister, have three children, whom they home-school. This excerpt is from her book, "Creative Correction."
I looked on google to see what I could find and was surprised to see negative things about her and her book? I have read and read that book and I don't remember her suggesting that spanking was the answer. I know it is an alternative, on the rare occasion I have resorted to it my self. I think explaining to a child what they did, that other times other things have been tried and why you are going to have to do this, spanking them and them that you love them and need them to make different choices is different from snatching them up and hitting them while they hang in the air by on arm or smacking them as they pass you.
I love the book because she defines their behavior and has a scripture for every behavior that they can come up with. The Bible says that it is important to teach them this and this is where in the Bible it is found.

I think as mush as this book offers my favorite part is the scripture references right with the behavior so you can remind them these aren't your rules but Gods rules that you are responsible for helping them learn to follow.

There are behaviors and suggestions for discipline
Leaving a mess? The next time your child "forgets" to put something away, put it away for him. When he asks where it is, tell him that he'll have to look for it. Believe me, he will learn that it's a lot more trouble to find something that Mom has hidden than it is to put it away in the first place.
Yes, there are thinks I do different because I am different and my children are different and I do like that one.
One thing she taught me was that a child's behavior in public may be more embarrassing to you but it doesn't make what they did more wrong and the discipline shouldn't be greater because you were embarrassed. I had to face that one not too long ago. I took a deep breath and had to agree.
I had made arrangements and they didn't get followed through with. I had to admit that I wasn't upset that there was a misunderstanding but that I had to face the other people involved. That new perspective helped me a lot and avoided unnecessary conflict with in my family.
I totally love this book!

No comments: