Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Attitude


Lately I have noticed a change, every time I try to tell the kids why they need to stop what they are doing they get an attitude. They are mad! I am out numbered and expect it a little but it has been in over drive for some reason.
Yesterday I reminded James that he couldn't play the wii till his home work was done and that he was grounded from it because he had hit his little sister over it.
He was really mad so I showed him a little box. I tried to get the doll in it without opening it. I tried really hard but couldn't get it in there. Then I tried with something smaller that I knew would fit, again without opening it. The smaller thing was a CTR ring. It wouldn't fit no matter how hard I tried. I asked him what he thought the problem was. Why can't I get it in there. Haylee (3) came over to help me by opening the box. It really was that simple. I explained to him that when I tried to talk to him and help him make better choices and he was mad his mind was like the box, it was closed. In order for him to understand and make better choices he had to be open and listen. I thought it was a really good analogy and it was too prefect that when I looked around for something small that I knew would fit into the box that the CTR ring was right there. He is a really good kid and so loving.
We have a close relationship and I love having the opportunity to teach him things.
Visual things that come in the back door seem to work the best.

2 comments:

Anna Beal said...

Boy you are a good mom! I so do not have the patience to sit with my children and explain things to them that way. I need to work on that!

Laura Willis said...

Thank you. I know how important attitude is for me. If I feel good I can do laundry and clean toilets with a smile but if I am in a mood even chocolate cake doesn't seem the same.
I love the book Creative corrections, she is a great example and where I learned a lot. We make the difference as to whether that do what they should out of fear or inspiration. It is a big responsibility. God knew you were up to it when he blessed you with your precious children. I don't think you give yourself enough credit.
Keep up the good work. =)