Friday, June 20, 2008

Happy Birthday Brooklyn


This is Brooklyn (and Joseph).
I have pictures of them separately but not many they are together a lot. They are about two months apart.
Brooklyn turned ten today!
She has been extremely independent since the day she was born. She was my fifth child and my second home birth. We had a water bed and when ever one of us would roll over it would send the bed rolling and I would have a few small contractions this went on for the last couple months of my pregnancy. I got up early to go to the bathroom and realized that one or the other of us had "rolled over" consistently most of the night, I was in labor! I let myself wake up enough to time them for a little while but there was no doubt. I called my mid-wife and told her, I also added that she was coming faster than the others. I called my dad and step mom for them to come over. Everyone was there with in an hour and Brooklyn was there with in two.
I was in labor that I could almost sleep through for a while and actual labor for three hours from start to finish. When it was time to push I remembered what a good friend told me, if you have strong but controlled pushes you won't rip. I would push through one contraction and then breath through the next. I could feel Brooklyn coming down and the water rushing out while I relaxed and breathed. I worked through one contraction and then she worked through the next. It was amazing, I would remember the birth experience as I looked down at her for months later and love her even more for her "easy" birth. (she was 9lbs and 5oz and I didn't rip)
I put my mothers name and her fathers middle name into her name. Lynne and Ray BrookLYN RAYn. Her father passed away January 2007 and I am happy she has that connection.
Scott and I met when she was 5. She called him dad while we were still talking on the phone, we hadn't even met yet. The kids favorite question was whens the wedding wheres the ring"
"Not if but when and it wasn't up to me anyway". When we met Scott's extended family had already planned a fifth Sunday get together and his moms house was packed. I was helping in the kitchen and heard Brooklyn loudly and excitedly calling Dad and running through the house.
I went to find out what was going on, to find that she had lost her tooth, her first tooth!
She ran past me to find him. It still makes me smile because they have been that close from the start and it has and will continue to bless them both. (He adopted my girls except Heather and we were sealed to them the summer of 2006)
I love you Brooke! Happy Birthday and thank you for being my child.

No comments: